Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"The Ultimate Gift" (2006)




"The Ultimate Gift" Movie Poster

Thanks to Kyle again for another great movie recommendation (and providing the DVD!)

I've been attracted to faith-inspired films in the last several years, particularly "Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof." Knowing that there were probably going to subtle faith-related messages throughout this movie made it more intriguing.

The movie was inspired by the best-selling novel by Jim Stovall of the same name.

The tagline for the movie was "Life is how you live it...not how you spend it."

It was rated PG by the MPAA for thematic elements, some violence and language.

It won the 2006 Heartland Film Festival's Crystal Heart Award. It also received the Dove Foundation's seal of approval.

The movie received mostly mediocre ratings. Many critics did not dispute the sentimental value, but it was too sweet for them. Box office sales reflected ratings, as it opened to $1.2 million and many theaters pulled it from distribution. DVD sales grossed $9.55 million.

The trailer, included in the DVD, starts with a drumbeat. A man's voice calls, "Jason?" as a man turns around from a 10th floor elevator.

"How do you know my name?"

A black man from inside a conference room says, "It's my business to know everyone named in your grandfather's will."

As scenes of a cemetery are shown and then back to the conference room, Jason says, "I know what he left me. Nothing."

The same man says, "Walk away and you'll never know, will ya?"

The trailer goes through what appears to be family arguments about the inheritance, with Jason only caring about the money he will receive.

Then, he meets a woman and what appears to be her daughter in a park. As they walk away, Jason stops them with "Hey!"

"I need a friend."

"Explain yourself!" The little girl demands.

Jason shrugs and says, "It's complicated."

As they sit down and talk, the little girl looks at him and asks, "You have a bet with a dead guy? Cool."

As the movie starts, a elderly man is sitting in what appears to be a law library, preparing for either an interview or a broadcast. Then, a phone rings against a black screen. A woman answers the phone, says a few words, and hangs up. She walks into a portion of an office, where a black man in a suit and bow tie is sitting, looking solemn and depressed. "He's gone, sir." They exchange a few words about "business interests" and other things before the woman turns to walk away.

We find out that the man in the opening shot is named Eric Stevens, but you can call him Red (Academy Award nominee James Garner). We find out that the black man, Hamilton (Bill Cobbs), is a lawyer, and we hear a phone conversation between them, with Red proposing a few "business ideas, some that are still in the dream stage..."

Red and Hamilton started out as business partners and ended up as friends. As Hamilton sits down with members of Red's family to divvy up the will, his eldest child Bill was named owner of Red's oil and gas company. However, since Bill showed zero interest in the company while Red was alive, he didn't think it would change after his death. So Red left the company under the board's control, leaving Bill, his family and lawyers shocked and humiliated.

One by one, members of Red's family are left speechless and angry as they are confused about what a 10,000 acre cow farm is worth, how much they get, or that their estate will remain under the trustees.

As Jason Stevens (Drew Fuller) sits outside the boardroom, he is the last to enter, even though one of his family members holds the elevator door open. When he sits down, he sees a box in front of Hamilton and asks what's in it. "Your inheritance," Hamilton replies.

They sit down and Jason watches a DVD made by Red. He starts talking about gifts, and wanting to give Jason a series of gifts, which, will hopefully, result in "the ultimate gift." But, there's a catch: If Jason fails in any way, he loses everything.

Along the way, Jason learns 12 different gifts. He meets and becomes friends with people not only in the United States, but out of the country as well. He meets and begins to develop a special bond with Texas cattle rancher Gus (Brian Dennehy ), mother Alexia (Ali Hillis) and her young daughter Emily (Academy Award nominee Abigail Breslin), among many others that Jason crosses paths with.

He endures many trials and struggles, but ultimately, like the title, receives the ultimate gift.

Like many critics, I enjoyed the sentimentality of the movie, but it was sweet enough to give me a sugar headache. The concept of the 12 gifts was a novel coming-of-age idea, but Jason's character was a little too conceited at the beginning for me to truly believe that he evolves so much throughout the period of 12 months.

However, the movie did evoke several emotions. Breslin in particular provided much of of the humor, though Fuller provided some quips as well. I cried several times, so if you watch it, be prepared for several tear-jerker moments.

Overall, I probably wouldn't watch this movie a second time, but it is a sweet, sentimental movie to watch when you want to be reminded of how precious life is and how you can learn things in the most unexpected ways.

As always, I appreciate any feedback, comments, and movie suggestions!

Thanks for reading!

-Laura Beth :)

5 comments:

  1. Aw ya I saw this movie with my mom, I liked it, but I also think Abigail Breslin is a great actress and so young too! I can't wait to see what she does when she gets older. Good review I enjoyed, he was a bit too conceited at the beginning wasn't he? Oh well movies only have so much time to get their point across, but good review though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Abigail Breslin she amazes me! But anyway...
    Nice job being brutally honest this week, LB. I loved when you said, "it was sweet enough to give me a sugar headache." Too many movies can fit in that category and I loved how you phrased it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea - I agree. Abigail Breslin is a great actress. Thanks for the feedback!

    Megan - Thanks! After your comment last week, I knew I needed to step it up a bit. Agreed, a lot of movies fall into that "horribly sweet and romantic" category. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review LB. Completely agree with everything, but I have seen it multiple times and will likely continue to see it. I am a huge fan of Drew Fuller. He's got a good gig right now on Lifetime's Army Wives.

    I like the fact you didn't give as much of the movie away this time. You give them just enough and entice them to watch it to learn the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle - I like Drew Fuller too. I've heard about Army Wives and read about it. I think I'll try and catch up on the previous seasons and make it a regular show I watch.

    I'm glad I didn't give away much of the movie - it's a really tricky thing to do. But what do you mean by "this time?"

    ReplyDelete