Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Permanent Record" (1988)




Who thinks Keanu Reeves is a good actor? I'll admit, in the movies that I've seen him in, it's been hit or miss. When I was browsing in the library the other day (I'm practically there all the time, but not just for the movies), I found one of his earliest films, a 1988 release called "Permanent Record."

My first thought: It's about a teenager who did something so horrible that it went on his permanent record and scarred him for life. I personally had never heard of it, so I found the movie, in its entirety, on YouTube and proceeded to sit down and watch it, not sure what it was about or how Reeves's role would be portrayed.

Turns out, the movie wasn't what I thought it was. In fact, it was something completely different.

Also starring Alan Boyce and Jennifer Rubin, the movie begins with a bunch of teenagers hanging out on a hillside, a circle of 1980s-esque cars and trucks, and teens talking, laughing, smoking. It looks to be a very popular hangout spot or "lover's lane" type of place, where kids from school gather and boyfriends and girlfriends come to hang out and hook up. One of the cliffs overlooks the beautiful coast and water, which I later learned was Portland and Cannon Beach, Oregon. As a few of the teens walk along the cliffs, we see a girl sitting on the ground, back up against one of the rocks. She has what appears to be a planner or notebook on her lap, but then she closes it and stands, slowly walking down the rocky slope towards the massive group of cars. We see a motorcycle leave the area, and the girl joins up with another girl and a guy to get into their cars and leave.

The scene switches to a rural area with small, bungalow-style houses spaced apart. An older model car pulls into one of the grassy driveways. stopping abruptly as any teenage driver would. Seagulls cry as the boy gets out of the car and rushes toward a house. He enters the house quickly, where we hear loud electric guitar chords crashing. Another guy is in a separate room, likely a bedroom, playing the said guitar. The orange neon sign of the treble and bass clefs and music notes, along with the official "Recording" light-up sign, set the mood that this is a musician's bedroom.

As the arriving friend enters the bedroom, they start talking as if they are best friends. The first guy greets the guitarist and they talk about how the guitarist's dad left that morning, where the friend says, "You have a dad?" and the guitarist responds, "Once in a while," as he puts his guitar down. He starts talking about "how the party is on for tomorrow night," while his friend says, "Oh cool!"

As the movie progresses, we discover that the guitar player is named Chris (Reeves) and his best friend is David (Boyce). David is dating Lauren (Rubin), and as high school seniors, they seem to have it all and are living out their lives. Chris is the quirky outsider, while David has everything: talent, great grades, a sense of humor, and being the popular guy. However, something tragic happens at a party that's held along the coastal cliffs. What was thought to be an awful accident is something much worse, and their lives are changed forever.

Curious to know how it ends? Watch the movie online or get it from the Longwood library!

Stay tuned for another movie next week! As always, I greatly appreciate and welcome any comments, questions, and especially movie suggestions!

-Laura Beth :)


5 comments:

  1. Let me start by saying 1988 was a great year. I have never seen this movie as crazy as that sounds. I hope to see it soon. Thank you for explaining plot and premise without giving away too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did you have to watch it on youtube? Crazy I thought it was what you thought at first something to do with his permanent record. Then you started to talk about music and recording so then I thought maybe it has to do with making a recording of a song, but then you throw in some tragedy that happens at the cliffs. Crazy stuff I'd be interested in finding out what happens. Once again well written but I am curious why it had to be viewed on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle - You're welcome! I'm learning the skills to not give away the entire plot and/or punch line...

    Chelsea - It doesn't have to be watched on YouTube, that's the first place I found it besides picking up the library's DVD. They may have it somewhere else on the Internet. Sorry for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Keanu is just as consistent with his movies and movie performances as I am with spelling is name. I loved him in Speed but I haven't seen this one. I agree with Kyle in that you didn't give too much away but made me want to know what happens in the end.

    ReplyDelete