Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Ordinary People" (1980)



I never realized, until now, how attracted I have become to dramatic films, I really enjoy them. I'm especially developing a taste for older movies, because they show a different way movies were made. This is in comparison to today's movies, which are more concentrated on action, sex or gore, rather than the story that encompasses the characters. Can you think of a movie that was made before the 1990s that shows this sentiment of the story over the action? Please feel free to comment!

I think the sentiment I mentioned above applies perfectly to 1980's smash hit "Ordinary People." Looking at the DVD case in the Longwood library a few days ago, I realized this movie won 4 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Screenplay Adaption. In my mind, if it won all these prestigious Oscars, it had to be a good movie.

The theatrical trailer is available to view on the library's DVD. I watched this first, just to get a sense of what the movie would be about. With the opening chords of Handel's "Messiah," a voice-over reads, "In this typical town, in this comfortable home, three ordinary people are about to live an extraordinary story."

The following is a smattering of the sound bites from the trailer:

"What kind of psychiatrist are you? You don't believe in dreams," a young man says, scoffing at the psychiatrist. "I do believe in dreams," the shrink responds, "only sometimes I want to know what's happening when you're awake."

Psychiatrist: "How long are you going to punish yourself? When are you going to quit?"

Young Man: "I just did one wrong thing..."
Psychiatrist: "And what was that one wrong thing you did?"

These little sound bites/clips pulled me in even more, as most trailers do. It made my hungry to find out what was wrong with the young man, why he was seeing a psychiatrist, why was he punishing himself.

The cast of characters is star-studded, and this movie gave some actors and actresses their start in the movie business.

The story follows a upper-class family residing in Lake Forest, Illinois. Though the movie is dated in the looks of the cars and clothes, the story and lessons learned are far more important.

A young and striking Donald Sutherland plays the easy-going and loving father Calvin Jarrett, Mary Tyler Moore plays his charming yet self-centered wife, Beth. They had two sons, Buck (Scott Doebler) and Conrad (Timothy Hutton), but we learn early on that Buck has died. Through a series of flashbacks from Conrad's point of view, it appears that Buck drowned in a lake of some sort during a fierce storm.

Along the way, the Jarrett family begins to disintegrate as details about Buck's death and the family come out. The clear protagonist is Conrad, a high-school student, as we see his life with his parents, adjusting with his friends, the swim team, and girls. As the movie progresses, psychiatrist Berger (Judd Hirsch) and girls Karen (Dinah Manoff) and Jeannine (Elizabeth McGovern).

Two other things, besides the fabulous acting and cast of characters, really sold this movie with me, keeping me riveted to my computer screen even after the 2-hour movie ended. One was the music selection. From the very beginning, Handel's iconic "Messiah" sets the tone of the movie. Second, the choice of scenery and setting truly shows the status of the Jarretts and their lives. The movie is set in the time between early fall and Christmas, and the scenery of suburban Illinois is gorgeous, keeping my attention the entire time.

The emotions in this movie are so raw and poignant, especially Timothy Hutton's character, Conrad. Besides Hutton's closeted emotions eventually making their way out, all the characters really show their emotions, especially as the movie progresses.

This fabulous drama is based on the 1976 novel by Judith Guest, which was her first published novel. The Academy Award-winning screenplay adaption was created by Alvin Sargent.

Besides Sargent winning Best Screenplay Adaption and the movie winning Best Picture, Best Director went to Robert Redford and Best Supporting Actor was Timothy Hutton, who certainly deserved it, at least in my book.

I hope you enjoyed this! Go pick up this awesome movie at the Greenwood Library. As always, I welcome any comments, questions, criticism, and of course, movie suggestions!

Thanks for reading!

-Laura Beth :)

6 comments:

  1. Excellent movie! I haven't seen this in forever.

    Good point on the soundtrack; it really is an incredible line-up. This is a career definer for T.H. and I love D. Sutherland in everything he does.

    I look forward to next week! Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm sounds good I've never heard of it. You're doing a good job finding movies that aren't well known and explaining them without as kyle said previously giving the plot away. You pull in the reader just enough to want to see the movie but not to the point of giving away anything really important. That takes skill, I'm loving this blog, very well written. I'm intrigued by the short voice clips I'd like to watch it just because even just reading them makes a person curious as to what happened and why he's punishing himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having never seen the movie before, I can say that you did a really good job painting the scenes in my head. I liked how you incorporated the time frame of the movie and the soundtrack. I also liked how you welcomed comments at the end, it sounded very friendly and welcoming.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle - I recently discovered Timothy Hutton's fabulous acting in TNT's "Leverage" series. And Donald Sutherland is amazing. The end.

    Chelsea - Thank you for all the compliments! I'm really happy that you liked the sound clips, I think I'm going to continue that, as most movie trailers are easily accessible online or included in most DVDs.

    Jillian - Thank you! I'm happy that I could "paint the scenes" in your head. Whenever I'm reading a good book or review, if I can look up from the text and "see" the images or description in front of me, then it's a good read in my mind. I always try to be friendly in all of my writings, so I'm pleased to know it is appreciated!

    Now for a question to all my readers - Do you think that I could make a career or living or publishing gig out of this blog/idea of reviewing little-known movies? What do you think? I would love any comments or advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear I've seen this trailer for this film soooo many times and every time I see it I'm like, "Alright, I'm going to see this the minute I get a chance!" But I haven't seen it yet! Really good description. I get pulled in everytime by the trailer, like you did and I'm dying to learn more. Nice job LB! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know too much about the blogosphere world but I believe you really have something here. You are adapting and changing this slightly throughout your blogs. Perfecting it as you go along. I believe it's a worthy idea to pitch to whoever would pick up this idea. I think you're doing a good job. If you found someone that wanted to pick it up as a professional blog I believe they'd give you a few more pointers about what they want but again like I said I don't know too much about the blogging world to know who would pick what up and pay what. But I like your idea and you are doing a great job of it.

    ReplyDelete