Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"Threesome" (1994)




"Threesome" Movie Poster

So I had never heard of "Threesome" until Spring Break a few weeks ago. My friends and I went to Starbucks then went back to our friend Laura's house to watch a movie. Her family recently got Netflix, which is literally one of the best business and entertainment concepts EVER to be invented or thought of. We debated over what movie to watch for probably 20 minutes, especially since we hit the "Comedy" category button, and Laura insisted on scrolling through all 14 or 15 pages of movie posters to pick just one movie.

We finally decided on "Threesome" because it looked funny and our group of friends is famous for our constant joking and sexual comments/references. We queued it up on the TV and settled back on the couches. Not knowing what to expect was left to our imaginations, and boy, was I surprised.

The movie stars Josh Charles as transfer student Eddy, Lara Flynn Boyle as independent and strong-willed Alex, and Stephen Baldwin as the All-American jock Stuart. It was written and directed by Andrew Fleming, as the movie is an autobiographical comedy mixed with social commentary, based on Fleming's college experiences and memories.

It was rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America. It was released on April 8, 1994 and runs for 93 minutes, and eventually grossed $14.8 million in revenues.

The whole movie centers around how a housing error put Eddy and Stuart together with a female roommate, Alex, who the college thought was a boy based on her name. Their experiences together as a trio of friends and the lust for one another's affections (or not) eventually causes them to drift apart.

The film received mostly negative review once it was released. The review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes said 26% of critics gave "Threesome" positive reviews, based on 23 reviews. Roger Ebert felt the move was unfunny and, "Like many kids their age, these three are more bold in talk than action, and the movie sounds right; it sounds like undergraduate human dialogue, intended to shock, to liberate, to amuse." Peter Travers' review for "Rolling Stone" magazine said, "We're supposed to get all teary when kinkiness threatens to break up a friendship that was hard to swallow in the first place" and courtesy of Alexander Gruszynski, "There's lots of glossy cinematography...as the three lovers wander the campus separately, looking contemplative. Now there's a laugh."

I couldn't find the movie on DVD in the Longwood library, but the whole movie is available on YouTube in 9 or 10 sections. Of course, Netflix is always an option.

Overall, I thought the movie of hliarious and just plain stupid. Boyle, Charles and Baldwin are perfect for the roles of college students. The antics of the main charaters as well as the people around them portray both college students of the past and today. I laughed really hard during the movie not just because of the jokes and sexual references, but also because I could picture my friends and Longwood acquaintances saying or doing similar things here in Farmville or at home.

It is clearly like a '90s movie with the clothing and hair styles, certain sayings and catchphrases and car makes, but some of the greatest movies were made in the '90s too.

It's difficult for me to compare "Threesome" with any of today's similar comedies, but if you find any that even remotely compare, please let me know!

I wouldn't put "Threesome" in the category of classic or a movie I could watch over and over, but I certainly rank it as one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while, and one that I could definitely relate to, being a college student and all that jazz.

As always, comments and questions and feedback are always encouraged and welcomed!

Thanks for reading!

-Laura Beth :)

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED reading your post today! It was detailed but right to the point. I loved that you had an anecdote at the beginning it made it really personal. I also loved that you had critic reviews right before yours.
    I feel like a lot of movies allude to the whole plot of two friends going after one girl... for some reason I keep thinking of that Sarah Jessica Parker movie "If Lucy Fell"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan - Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm going to keep the critic reviews, and I'll do my best to have personal anecdotes every post - it makes me feel more comfortable with my writing! I'll have to look "If Lucy Fell"...I've never heard of it! Future post idea...I think so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the rating being in there, i think if you go professional with this blog, parents would like to know what it's rated so they can gauge whether or not to watch it with their kids. Loved the critic reviews, that's something new and makes it interesting. Kind of miss the stronger details but you still have enough detail to keep the reader interested and you replace it with more variety of content. Critic Reviews, Basic info, Personal anecdote, and some detail into the movie. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your formatting; the blog works fine. Your critique is always enjoyable.

    As far as the movie is concerned, I agree with Ebert--the flick is crap. Stephen Baldwin is notorious for picking terrible scripts and this is one of them.
    There are much better movies in this genre, style, and dealing with this age group. Try any thing '80s or '90s with John Cusack to get a better flick with similar appeal.
    And as far as Stephen Baldwin is concerned--watch Biodome to see his best terrible performance. I own it if you need a copy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle - Thanks for the feedback. As much as it stung to see criticism, I'm happy that you offered it. I have heard of "Biodome" and am considering reviewing it. As far as John Cusack goes...lots of good movies to choose from. I already have a list going. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete